Sunday, October 21, 2012
Week #3 Post
I would like to say I can relate, but i honestly can’t. I have never felt like there was nobody out there I couldn’t trust. Throughout the novel you see examples of how he was mistreated because of the civil war. While Ishmael and his friends were running from the LRA they hid in many cities. At one of these cities Ishmael found a man who offered him a living space without the village knowing. After a few days of staying in hiding, there were caught and brought to the village leader. Most people thought he was part of the child army. Until his rap tapes were found, it was assumed that a little boy was there to kill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Marina, I agree. I find it silly that anyone could suspect a young boy could be a killer, however with the LRA kidnapping kids as soldiers, it becomes much more believable.
ReplyDeleteMarina-
ReplyDeleteI can relate, I've never felt like there was nobody out there I couldn't trust. Also, I don't think they would have suspected that those boys were killers if the LRA didn't recruit boys in the first place.
-Allyson
There is a certain scale that I think we can measure in terms of how "we can relate" to Ismael throughout his journey; although it's safe to say that *few* citizens (excluding the drug and gang ravaged Chicago and outlying areas) here in the United States have felt the withdrawal and hopelessness of our hero, Ishmael. You brought up an interesting point that I've yet to hear or write about myself; that the vast majority of individuals that Ishmael has encountered have simply "jumped to conclusions" in identifying who Ishmael and his are, without any sense of civil investigation.
ReplyDelete(...) his friends (...). I apologize for the typo at the end.
DeleteMarina-
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that you have never felt those feelings as extreme as Ishmael, but haven't you ever felt that everybody was against you, especially when you're having a bad day? I know I have. Just a point to think about. I also agree that it's unbelievebale that such young boys can be expected to kill.
-Georgia