Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Week #4 Post

I think that some things do make us weaker with time, rather than make us stronger. Ishmael had lost his mother, father, grandmother, brothers, friends, and the whole village was broken. He was far from home with nothing to do but worry that the LRA would find him. Not only was he scared, he was helpless. He had no money, and little food. And although he was alive, this new life was breaking him down more and more each second he lived it. He wasn't living the life of a little boy anymore. He was living the life of a child solider. Before I read this story I was a believer in the quote "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Unfortunately this story has changed my point of view. While Ishmael did grow and get stronger, other people did not grow and became weak. Luckily for Ishmael he had what it took to get out and start a new life. But not all could simply grow stronger. They grew weaker and weaker and eventually became nothing.

4 comments:

  1. Marina~
    I feel the same way. I had always thought what dosen't kill you makes you stronger. But now that I read this book I think the making you stronger part may have a late reaction. I really like how you say "He wasn't living the life of a little boy anymore, he was living the life of a child soilder." Next time it might be helpful if you write the question out so that those who have not read the book know exactly what you are talking about. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marina, I completely agree that some things make us weaker with time, instead of stronger.
    I also agree that Ishmael wasn't living the life of a boy- he was living the life of a soldier.
    This story has also changed my opinion on the quote "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marina,
    I agree that in many situations, including Ishmael's, you are correct about growing weaker, but in many other situations you can get stronger. When Ishmael was starting to repair in his rehabilitation center, he started to become more human. He may not have been the same energetic Ishmael he used to be before his incidents, but he grew and became a much stronger person emotionally after going through the rehab.

    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marina,
    I really enjoyed your post! It was very touching and showed that you really understood the hardships that Ishmael and his friends endured on their journey. I also agree with what what you said about the fact that Ishmael really did have what it took to get through the situation he was placed in, while many others simply aren't equipped to deal with hardships.
    Great Job!
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete